Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Writing Process - or what shape was that wheel again?

So, Act One (of the process...)

I'm writing a new film script - which is rather silly because I have several other perfectly good scripts in development which I don't seem to want to finish.  This one I am writing because it feels more obviously accessible idea, but mostly because I want to document the process from early on. Not sure I want to say much about what I'm writing till I'm most of the way through a draft.

My instinct so far is that the idea is a good one because it involves a protagonist who has a lot of difficult moral and existential decisions.  I think one of the key elements of a good story is that there should be forks in the road - that your story might head in one of two completely different directions depending on what the character chooses to do.

I've become aware that I am working to a theme across most of the scripts I'm working on. This theme is to do with the ambiguity - confusion even - of decision making. One of the defining aspects of most film protagonists is that they seem to know not only what action to take, but when to act. The moment is clear cut, the choices obvious. Mostly, once we leave the movie theatre, we find it a lot more difficult to know when to bend the world a little with our actions.

So far, I'm using Story View to block out acts, sequences and some scenes. Act One is very clear, Act Two seems to have come together more easily than I'd anticipated. The second act is to some extent driven by a secondary protagonist who seems to fall in the archetype represented by Jouvert is Les Miserable, as well as the antagonist in The Fugitive, and also the Edward G. Robinson character in Double Indemnity.  This type is the dogged pursuer who never, ever gives up.

Act Three is tricky...

I'm also beginning to write some scenes, just to begin to get a flavour of the characters, the setting - the world/genre of the story.  At this stage it's important just to have fun with the scenes and also to begin a dialogue between the energy of the scenes and the more managed process of structuring.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! Following <3 Alex

    tobebeautifulingodsyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete